Support this Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Runaway Bus to Matrimony

The following story submitted by Jeff Dunn of Rome, NY.

 I was in fourth grade when I met Penny. I watched as she boarded school bus 32 and found a spot to sit; right next to me. That is when and where our relationship started. She was so nice, and pretty.

So, I didn’t object when Penny suggested we get married on a school bus. I did have my reservations, however, when she suggested we be married as the bus traversed the same route it took 20 years earlier when we were in fourth grade. To make matters even more interesting, she suggested we find that same bus to do it on.

My first words after hearing this were, “are you insane?” She wasn’t amused. In fact, she started crying saying how I didn’t value our past.

The guilt trip worked. I called a friend of mine on the County School Board who did the leg work on finding the bus.

It was on the back lot of the town bus garage, and hadn’t been driven in 14 years.

I spoke with the Superintendant who agreed that if I paid for whatever parts the bus needed out of my own pocket, he’d allow us to use it for our wedding.

To make a long story short, we were rumbling down RTE 365 just east of Rome when the Priest pronounced us man and wife. Immediately, we knew something was wrong.

The Priest was the only one standing. He was beside the driver, and the driver yelled to him to “sit down!” And he did. The next thing we heard was the driver saying, “The brakes are out , so is the clutch and I can’t get the transmission back into gear.”

We had just crested Vickerman’s hill, and a huge 2 mile descent sprawled ahead. Suddenly it was like we were on a voyage to the center of the earth. To make matters worse, at the bottom of the hill was a sharp curve to the right. A sign warned, “Dangerous curve 15 mph”.

The bus gained speed. The needle on the speedometer read 85 as we shot down the hill passing the halfway mile marker. My new bride and I hung on for dear life as the driver yelled back “90 mph!”

I heard my Penny praying, “Jesus please help us…” Then suddenly, we all heard what sounded like tires popping. And that’s what it was. The tires were all coming apart and yes, they were deflating with sudden loud bursts.

This was a good thing because, strangely enough, the same number of tires on each side of the bus went down and the river was able to maintain control as the bus began to slow suddenly.

The tires forced the bus to come to a stop just feed from the final curve warning sign.

What a wedding this was. I’ll for ever hold the times spent on this bus close to my heart now! Yes, now those grade school rides with Penny will be cherished by me, as well as her. At least those rides were safe rides!
-----------------

We thank Jeff Dunn for that story and invite your story.  It doesn't have to be as dramatic as this, we just want to hear from you.  Tell us about your story or tell us about your spouse.  We'll publish your wedding stories here!.

No comments: